Alterations can transform clothing from ordinary to custom fitting pieces that will make you look and feel your best. Sometimes, you will find the perfect dress, top or pair of pants only to find they don’t fit you quite right. This is where alterations come in to save the day because the right seamstress will know exactly what to do so that the article of clothing fits like a glove.
Here are a few things you should know when it comes to alterations:
- Never leave it to the last minute and make an appointment as soon as you can. It’s always best to give the seamstress enough time to do the job right without having to rush. This will ensure the alterations are done perfectly and every detail is taken care of. Certain pieces, like a wedding gown, for example, may require more time and attention, so book an appointment four to six weeks in advance to eliminate any chances of the alterations not being completed on time.
- You may need more than one appointment so be sure to keep this aspect in mind. You may have to go see the seamstress two or three times to ensure everything is going well so that the final result will be a perfect fit.
- Alteration costs are different depending on the work that needs to be done, the materials the seamstress is working with and any special requests that must be completed. Every seamstress will have different prices so you’ll have a better understanding when you discuss all of the details with them at the initial appointment where you will be provided with a quote.
- Always bring the shoes you will be wearing with the outfit so the seamstress can hem it accordingly. You should also bring along any special undergarments you are planning on wearing so that the seamstress can take everything into consideration when altering the dress or item of clothing. There should never be any guessing when it comes to alterations because that can lead to a disastrous fit.
- Don’t hesitate to ask your seamstress some questions so that you can get to know the services they offer and whether or not they suit your needs. For example, ask if they will steam your clothes after the alterations have been completed and how long they have been in the industry. If you’re after something specific, ask to see pictures of past bridal alterations they have worked on so you can get a visual of their craftsmanship.
If you want a dress that will flatter your figure and fit like a glove, visit Belo Fashion in Toronto today. This beautiful store carries a stunning selection of formal dresses and will help you find the exact dress you’ve been looking for, no matter what the occasion!